Vice President-Chief Actuary
Vice President-Chief Actuary
Home Office/Telecommuting Opportunities
This position offers flexible remote/hybrid work scheduling. We are targeting candidates who are located within the commutable area and able to work 2-3 days/week at our Fond du Lac, WI home office.
Prote cting our policyholders' dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at Society.
Society Insurance is seeking a Vice President-Chief Actuary to join our executive team. This position will recommend rate and reserve ranges to achieve target profitability. This role is a key member of the product committee with regards to new products, changes to current products, and other areas which address company growth and profitability. The Vice President-Chief Actuary will guide the data team as an Executive Sponsor and will support the organization in managing and analyzing data for improved transparency of results and identify indicators of trends. This position will lead predictive analytic efforts to assist the company with analyses of data to help direct business decisions.
About the Role
- Applies actuarial techniques, including predictive analytics, while collaborating with other executives to achieve rate level and loss reserve adequacy for the company.
- Participates in and contributes to Executive Team in the development and execution of overall actuarial direction to the company through strategic planning.
- Drives operational performance and delivers outstanding actuarial support for the company and provides direction through models for ERM in coordination with the reinsurance broker.
- Along with the CEO and executive team, contributes to managing relationships with rating agencies and reinsurers.
- Coordinates the quarterly Reserve Committee and Reinsurance Committee. Analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of Society's rates, pricing, and loss reserving to ensure company solvency.
- Monitors developments and trends within the Property/Casualty insurance industry. Communicates significant development/trends to the department and executive teams.
- Thorough working knowledge of insurance contracts, state legal requirements, and current business and industry trends/practices as pertain to Chief Actuary duties.
- Collaborates with other leaders to ensure consistent compliance with state and federal departments of insurance and other regulatory agencies.
- Participates and contributes to the development and execution of company strategies and plans.
- Serves as a role model in ethical behavior, is aware of the "role model" implications both internal and external to the organization. Models the moral tone for the organization and maintains a high level of professional competence, corporate values, and policies.
- Supports an environment that is transparent and open, where others are encouraged to achieve, in which new ideas surface easily, favorable change is embraced, and where leadership abilities are recognized and encouraged.
- Demonstrates effective leadership by attaining results through others. Coaches and develops high potential employees through superior talent development plans.
About Yo u
- You hold yourself accountable and act in accordance with rules and regulations.
- You enjoy analyzing, investigating, and making decisions based on data and facts.
- You are skilled at attracting, identifying, and developing organizational top talent.
- You enjoy seeking innovative approaches to address organizational problems.
- You demonstrate humbleness and recognize your limitations.
- You easily build rapport using diplomacy and tact and can readily diffuse high-tension situations.
- You are passionate about the mission, vision, and values of an organization.
- You are visionary, have strategic agility, and develops strategies while understanding the impact of those decisions on the organization.
What it Will Take
- Bachelor's degree in business, math, or actuarial science.
- Fellow Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS) designation.
- 10+ years of cumulative experience in pricing and reserving Workers Compensation, Commercial Multi-Peril, and Commercial Auto lines of business.
- 5 years of management experience to include development of direct reports.
- Advanced knowledge of reserving techniques, predictive analytics, and ratemaking.
- Ability to educate all areas of the company in the "how and why" certain processes are utilized and required.
- Master's degree in math, actuarial science, or related field highly desirable.
- Prior experience in using predictive models for commercial account pricing highly desirable.
What Society Can Offer
- Comprehensive Benefits Package : Salary with bonus plan; health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- R etirement : Traditional or Roth 401(k) Defined Contribution Plan PLUS Profit-Sharing Plan
- W ork-Life Balance : Company-paid holidays; flexible scheduling; PTO; telecommuting options
- E ducation : Career Coaching; company-paid courses; student loan and tuition reimbursement
- C ommunity : Charitable Match; paid volunteer time; team sponsorships
- W ellness : Employee Assistance Program; health club reimbursement; wellness reimbursement
Society Insurance prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, disability, genetics, veteran status or military service, marital status or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws. Society Insurance also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.
Society Insurance is a drug-free workplace. Any candidate who receives an offer of employment from Society will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test for controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the pre-employment drug test, which is conducted in accordance with Society's substance abuse policy.