Do you want to work for a company that values you as an employee and person, and offers an excellent benefit package? The Marketing Underwriter, grows and maintains a profitable and diversified book of business, and works with a variety of agents and brokers showcasing SFM as an insurer of choice for Workers' Compensation Insurance. You will be part of a multi-functional team supporting SFM's growth in KS. SFM offers a robust benefit package that includes all the perks you need to navigate your work-life journey.
As a Marketing Underwriter in Kansas, you will be an active participant in a multi-functional team underwriting workers' compensation policies focusing on mid-market business. This new position is being added because of SFM's recent growth in Kansas and applicants must live in KS for this fully remote job. Our Marketing Underwriters use relevant facts to make sound decisions to determine whether to underwrite new business or renew current business on accounts. Developing and maintaining agency/broker relationships is key to achieving success with new business goals, retention of renewals and loss experience. Decisions made are consistent with company and team goals and objectives. Identifying trends and underwriting practices that could impact the team's book of business will be a responsibility.
This a fully remote position working in KS and reports to SFM's Iowa team.
Our benefits include:
- Affordable Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, HSA, FSA
- Flexible hybrid work environment
- Traditional and Roth 401(k) plans with company match
- Company contributions to help pay off student loans
- Monthly home internet allowance
- Free life insurance, STD & LTD
- Opportunities for annual gainshare bonus
- Pet insurance
- Generous PTO
- 9 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Annual company-wide volunteer day
- Discounts on gym memberships, fitness apps and weight loss programs
- Adoption financial assistance
What You Will Be Doing:
- Analyzes exposures and communicates with team members, loss prevention, premium audit, and technical specialists to thoroughly evaluate insured risks when making mid-term policy changes and reviewing renewals. Makes judgmental decisions regarding continuation of coverage, pricing and the service needs of our customers and within authority level.
- Promotes new business activity. Evaluates and analyzes new business applications for relevant information and determines appropriate action to be taken. Selects the most profitable business possible, consistent with company best practices as well as team and company goals and objectives, within individual authority level.
- Maintains and monitors entire underwriting book of business to achieve premium volume and loss ratios consistent with company goals and objectives.
- Meets with agent representatives off-site to review and monitor their performance, strengthen business relationships, establish marketing plan goals, and communicate company philosophy, procedures, service capabilities and new products or changes in products.
- Facilitates and educates current and prospective policyholders and promotes SFM's services in a marketing role.
- Provides premier customer service to all customers and complies with customer service standards. Responds promptly to resolve complaints or problems. Adheres to partnership agreements with business service teams.
What We'll Love About You:
- Bachelor's degree in insurance, finance, risk management, business or related field; in lieu of a Bachelor's degree, 4 years of suitable work experience will be accepted.
- Two or more years' underwriting (workers' compensation or commercial multi-line product line or casualty) experience required. Experience with workers' compensation is highly desirable.
- Professional insurance designations (CPCU, ARM) a plus.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of state applicable Workers' Compensation rules and regulations, NCCI rules and its application to underwriting.
- Understanding of insurance finance.
- Strong marketing skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to assimilate, understand and analyze information from a variety of sources.
- Strong math skills and ability to evaluate policy premiums, loss ratios and retentions.
- Excellent Problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to effectively build and strengthen professional relationships.
- Effective prioritization, organization and time management skills.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in MS Office software applications (Excel, Word, etc.).
- Ability to function in a highly collaborative, team environment.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office setting or home office setting, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers' compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time, we've expanded to a little over 22,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
Join us!! Click "Apply" Now
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. SFM provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.