Risk Management Specialist
Join us and experience an environment where you'll enjoy great work/life balance and the satisfaction of helping others! SFM offers a robust benefit package which enables you to navigate your work-life journey!
As the Risk Management Specialist you will serve as a top loss prevention consultant for our large/complex WC accounts in various industry sectors. As the subject matter expert (SME) on Loss Control Safety & Health services, you will play a crucial role in enhancing employee safety, minimizing losses, and providing guidance to policyholders in developing effective loss control and safety programs.
Our benefits include:
- Affordable Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, HSA, FSA
- Flexible hybrid work environment
- Traditional and Roth 401(k) plans with company match
- Company contributions to help pay off student loans
- Monthly home internet allowance
- Free life insurance, STD & LTD
- Opportunities for annual gainshare bonus
- Pet insurance
- Generous PTO
- 9 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Annual company-wide volunteer day
- Discounts on gym memberships, fitness apps and weight loss programs
- Adoption financial assistance
We are seeking a Risk Management Specialist who will serve as a top risk management consultant for our large/complex WC accounts in various industry sectors. As the subject matter expert (SME) on Loss Control Safety & Health services, you will play a crucial role in enhancing employee safety, minimizing losses, and providing guidance to policyholders in developing effective loss control and safety programs. This position involves active collaboration within a multi-functional team, where you will also lead and mentor others in workplace loss prevention.
- Establishes full-range service plans through complex assessment of management controls, physical operations, and loss history. Works with medium-sized premium policyholders and large account policyholders.
- Develops specific strategies to minimize loss potentials and recommends positive changes and improvements to policyholder's management.
- Prepares report for policyholders outlining present and most likely future loss potentials and other noteworthy items on a timely basis.
- Observes, evaluates and monitors complex health and environmental exposures. Determines salient claims exposures by using necessary testing equipment. Summarizes results and outlines specific degrees of exposure and risk involved.
- Provides ergonomic education, training, development and evaluations for policyholders in order to prevent repetitive trauma-type injuries.
- Consults, advises, and persuades policyholders on ways and means to eliminate or minimize their exposure to hazards by measuring reduced claim potentials and reductions in current claims and bringing the issues to satisfactory completion.
- Interprets and applies common safety and health standards to the work place and applies ANSI, OSHA standards and regulations and non-regulatory standards. Ensures that reports and letters indicate the risk factors that are to be addressed for the policyholder. Educates the policyholder on current standards and loss control exposures.
- Provides training or training assistance to policyholders and addresses loss potential from a regulatory standpoint and/or from potential claims generation. Acts as a resource on various loss prevention topics.
- Trains and mentors team members and provides the team and technical leader with objective, constructive feedback regarding work performance and effectiveness with policyholders and agents. Maintains appropriate interactions with persons both within the organization and externally.
- Regularly interacts with team members, policyholders and agents to achieve individual and team goals. Leads and mentors less experienced business partners concerning loss prevention in the work place. Follows company best practices. Willingness to assist technical leader when needed, and may assume some technical leadership duties as required.
- Professionally works with other team members to best serve all customers of the team. This includes, but is not limited to, covering for other team members when they are absent, being respectful of others, and the ability to successfully resolve conflict. Constructively works with team members and others in the company when service and business improvement opportunities are identified.
- Provides first-class customer service to all customers and complies with customer service standards. Responds promptly to resolve complaints or problems. Adheres to partnership agreements represented by the various business services areas when applicable. Maintains appropriate interactions with persons internally and externally.
- Completes reports and administrative responsibilities which may include assisting the team and technical leader in scheduling special assignments, developing training material, conducting in-house training, etc. Completes reports, activity logs, expense reports, and other required documentation in an accurate and readable form and in a timely basis.
- Processes survey reports, post-service letters and other applicable documentation through SlapShot, to include forwarding post-service letters to the policyholder contact, agent and applicable internal team members.
We're looking for:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in safety, risk management or science preferred. Direct safety field experience can be substituted for a four-year degree.
- Six plus years' experience working in a safety-related field (manufacturing or construction setting) or working with an insurance company.
- Master's degree in safety, risk management or science preferred.
- CSP, CRM or similar insurance designation.
Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations related to workers' compensation insurance, safety and OSHA.
- Ability to operate sound dosimeter and force meter.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Excellent customer service and presentation skills.
- Proficient in MS Office software applications (Excel, Word, etc.).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and proven ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to follow directions and understand and adhere to team procedures and company best practices.
- Demonstrates positive teaming skills and adept at resolving conflict.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- Flexibility in scheduling to accommodate customer's needs, which may require overnight stays.
- Able to work in a self-directed team environment.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Most work is performed outside of a standard office environment, but work will take place in a semi paperless environment, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies; may require being stationary at variable periods of time or physical movement. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, and maintain concentration and focus. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, Occasional lifting (approximately 25 to 35 pounds). Ability to walk, climb stairs and climb ladders, bend stoop and crouch and wear personal protective equipment on policyholder sites as needed. Regularly exposed to different work environments which includes, but is not limited to dusty, noisy, cold, hot, agricultural environments and a variety of weather conditions. Travel as needed. Regular attendance is required.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers' compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time, we've expanded to a little over 20,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.