Project Manager Support Summer Intern
SFM's summer interns will participate as active team members by projecting a professional and customer-friendly image of the Company while performing various functions to support the department assigned to. You will grow your critical thinking, and time management skills and apply them to various situations. The internship will develop independent work habits and have you gain familiarity with the internal operations and best practices of SFM. General office duties include data entry, document generation, using software specific to SFM, basic investigation tasks, and customer contact via phone and email. This a full time summer internship and is a temporary role. This is the perfect opportunity to launch a career in the Insurance industry and be a part of a growing company.
The Summer intern will participate as active team member learning about the functions of a Project Management by projecting a professional and customer friendly image of the Company while performing various functions to support the Project Management department. Working with an experienced Project Manager, be exposed to a variety of tasks related to the main phases of the Project Life Cycle which may include scheduling meetings, using applicable software and document the progress of active projects within the Organization. You will also learn about workers' compensation insurance and enhance your critical thinking skills and independent time management skills. Developing and gaining familiarity with the internal operations and best practices of SFM and workers' compensation insurance is a key aspect of this summer experience.
This is a full-time internship for 2023.
- Meet one on one with the Project Manager to discuss progress, questions, obstacles, and solutions; communicate availability; plan upcoming tasks.
- Potentially meet with other Department members on a specific topic or task.
- Participate in meeting planning and scheduling, with potential to lead project meetings
- Own delivering small updates to the project team on your assignments and related information.
- Learn and use SFM's chosen Project Management software, Teamwork, to document meeting minuets and assist with organizing/monitoring project tasks.
- Create and distribute meeting minutes.
- Work with Project Manager to review and create project resources for employees
- Gain exposure to Project Management foundational basic concepts and practices across the key areas of Project Scope, Schedule, Staff , Risk, Communication, Acquisition, and Budget Management.
- Gain familiarity with Project Management Office Best Practices.
SFM Business Operations:
- Provides support to the team in accordance with the respective department procedures and practices. Within scope of responsibility, interacts with other departments to resolve business issues and provides back-up coverage to all team members when requested.
- May work with other interns to develop and complete a meaningful project work over the course of the internship and give a year end presentation to Senior Management.
- Within scope of responsibility, interacts with other departments to resolve business issues and provides back-up coverage to all team members when requested. Maintains appropriate interactions with persons both in within the organization and outside.
- May attend meetings related to the industry and other departmental meetings within SFM.
- Will be exposed to and will learn about workers' compensation and insurance industry as whole; may have opportunity to job shadow within the different areas in the organization.
- Meets with various leaders from around the organization to conduct informational career interviews.
- Learns and understands SFM's corporate culture.
We're looking for:
- Experience using a PC and basic keyboarding skills.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a Bachelors program completing their sophomore or junior year with an anticipated graduation of 2024 or 2025, with degrees in Business ministration, Risk Management/Insurance, or Liberal Arts; however, open to all majors.
- Approximate work availability from June through August (9-12 weeks) required.
- Working independently and managing various tasks while maintaining quality is essential
- Critical thinking and decision making.
- Ability to work at least 30 hours per week.
- Willingness to learn and have a desire to take a new challenges.
- Strong prioritization, organization and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Self-motivated, works well independently, ability to focus on a project and project work and isn't afraid to ask for help.
- Strong customer service; customer-friendly focus.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Good computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Solid data entry.
- Willing to ask questions and genuine willingness to learn new things.
- Ability to follow directions and adhere to team procedures and company best practices.
Interns are encouraged to work in a hybrid work arrangement during the summer, but the majority of time will be spent in the Bloomington, MN office.
What You Can Expect:
- It is anticipated that the Summer Internship will run from June 5 , 2023 to approximately August 4, 2023.
- The anticipated work hours will be 32 hours per week between 8:00 a.m.-4:30pm, Monday-Thursday.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office setting or home office setting, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us. Apply and discover why SFM employees choose to stay with SFM and make it their long-term career. Visit our careers page to learn more about working at SFM.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers' compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time, we've expanded to well over 25,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.