Marketing Manager -Education Programs
JOB SUMMARY: The Marketing Manager, reporting to the Director of Marketing, is a key role on the Marketing & Communications team contributing to the organization's marketing strategy and is responsible for the planning, development, tactical implementation and reporting of various marketing initiatives to increase awareness, engage key target audiences and drive response. He/she will work in cross-functional teams, manage staff, and participate in a hands-on capacity in the execution of a variety of SOA program and product launches and ongoing marketing management.
We are currently working remotely but plan to move to a hybrid work schedule in December. Our future plans for growth include the opening of a Chicago office.
- Manage various marketing initiatives and the development of new plans based on a review of market research, competitive analysis, trends, and previous results. Contribute to the development of recommendations on target markets, tactics, and resources for the effective implementation of plans.
- Oversee marketing development and implementation of certificate, credentialling, affiliate membership, candidate and prospecting programs through all owned (email, social, website, app, etc.), earned and paid channels (search, social, display, direct mail, etc.) achieving desired results (revenue/enrollment/engagement, etc.); responsible for the execution of assigned events and products taking on a hands-on role for certain initiatives while supervising staff for others.
- Support the development and management of SOA's education pathway brand strategy and portfolio including education, credentialling, and affiliate membership offerings.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to gather details and understand program/event/product promotional needs; formulate effective and timely marketing and promotional plans by audience, track results, update marketing tactics as needed and report on project progress and success. This includes communicating and presenting project status to stakeholders and management and preparing regular strategic campaign effectiveness reports, including Google Analytics, with recommended improvements, enhancements, and testing strategies for future campaigns.
- Lead interface with Digital Marketing Sr Specialist on utilization and optimization of email, social and paid media channels to effectively market events, programs, and products. Collaborate on segmentation and testing strategies, campaign automation, analytics and results reporting.
- Demonstrate excellent project management and strategic skills to simultaneously handle multiple projects at varying stages of development in order to meet deadlines. Recommend new and innovative marketing approaches to take advantage of cutting-edge technologies and to ensure fresh thinking in marketing strategies.
- Manage, coach, and develop direct reports by setting expectations, building rapport, guiding assignments, managing workload, and offering growth opportunities. Conduct performance reviews of direct reports. Position will supervise one Marketing Specialist.
- Provide content and creative direction for the development of effective and engaging marketing collateral across digital channels, on site events, and occasional print. This includes copy development, editing, proofreading, web publishing via EPiServer/Optimizely, and partnering with internal Creative Services and Communications teams to ensure that marketing materials and properties stay on-brand, on-message and are error-free.
- Develop, build, and deploy emails and multi-step email marketing campaigns and automated journeys that incorporate segmentation as part of the promotional execution of marketing plans via the Marketing Automation System.
- Contribute to development of marketing research studies to help guide marketing decision-making and planning. Conduct market scanning and secondary research to gather and analyze key market and competitor information, and source for contacts to extend marketing reach in relevant industries.
- Collaborate with and lead outside vendors and agency partners by setting and managing expectations, project direction and development, workflow and implementation of activities specific to projects and defined statements of work.
- Staff SOA booth presence at various professional development events to promote member engagement, relations and products and services.
- Monitor updates on various writing style issues and questions.
- Edit documents or web copy as needed.
- Participate in employee candidate interviews and make recommendations.
- Request reports and analytics as needed.
- Attend meetings in absence of Director of Marketing.
- Other duties as required or requested.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered):
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related field.
- A minimum of seven years (7) direct experience in program/product marketing or communications. Educational institution or credentialling organization experience strongly preferred.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience in formulating and implementing product marketing plans, including launching new products and driving response.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to convey key messages and edit copy to ensure resonance with various audiences.
- Familiarity with different marketing tactics and channels including direct marketing, digital and traditional media, including a working knowledge of media planning and buying process.
- Experience with Eloqua marketing automation platform and EPiServer/Optimizely web content management is a plus.
- Experience managing or working closely with marketing and media agencies required.
- Strong project management and relationship skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; and the ability to serve and function effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary and multitalented team.
- Strong understanding of market segmentation and achievements in building response rates and other desired measurements across channels.
- Intermediate to expert knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and intermediate-level knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to travel approximately 5% of the time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Ability to work collaboratively with departmental and cross-functional teams to complete projects within specific timelines.
- Ability to exhibit professionalism and leadership in representing the organization both internally and externally.
- Experience in developing and facilitating presentations to different audiences.
- Exhibit strong initiative and the ability and willingness to understand and support strategic and operational initiatives of the SOA.
- Strong analytical skills using various data sources: research, market information, customer trends, metrics, etc.
- Attention to detail and project management skills.
- Experience in managing vendor/partner relationships; working cooperatively to maintain the workflow to achieve set objectives within tight deadlines.
The SOA will provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, order of protection status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other category protected by applicable law. Such action shall include but is not limited to: initial consideration for employment; job placement and assignment of responsibilities; performance evaluation; promotion and advancement; compensation and fringe benefits; training and professional development opportunities; formulation and application of human resource policies and rules; facility and service accessibility; and discipline and termination.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job related instructions and to perform other job related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.