Market Research Analyst
JOB SUMMARY: The Market Research Analyst is a key member of the Product Development and Innovation Team and is responsible for conducting market research and analysis to support the SOA strategic plan . By translating insights into actionable recommendations, the Market Research Analyst makes significant contributions to the Society of Actuaries' decision-making and enhances our collective understanding of members, candidates, and marketplace dynamics.
We are currently working remotely but plan to move to a hybrid work schedule in December. We are also planning to open a satellite office in Chicago in first quarter of 2022.
- Conduct market research with an innovative mindset. Focus on gathering actionable insights to identify pain points and opportunities.
- Develop respect, trust, and confidence of internal clients to foster robust collaboration and to function as an integral part of project teams.
- Collaborate and communicate with technology and finance teams to understand, analyze and leverage our internal information within our database about our candidates and members. Study the information over time and identify trends about our stakeholders and business metrics.
- Support various internal market research efforts, such as those related to candidates and members experiences for Engagement, Education, Research, Product Development and Innovation, and Professional Development or other teams as needed through custom or secondary research.
- Execute the in-house market research projects from start to finish, including defining the research need, the development of research instruments, recruiting and hosting focus groups, data analysis and interpretation, and report writing/presentation.
- Effectively communicate information to internal clients and across departments to institutionalize learning over time through dashboards and information made available to the staff and volunteers.
- Benchmark data and findings. Identify critical information to publish to external stakeholders. Monitor websites of similar organizations and report on changes and information that is important to the SOA.
- Manage research vendors to ensure project designs are appropriate, project timelines are met, and studies are completed within budget.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, on tight deadlines.
- Stay current on innovative adult education trends, desired skills of target markets, the insurance industry, and new tools and technologies.
- Follow world events that impact our key markets, products, and services.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered)
- Bachelor's degree in market research, economics, statistics, or a related analytical field. A Master's degree is a plus.
- A minimum of 3 years of market research or related work experience, with 5+ years of experience preferred, including questionnaire or discussion guide development. Previous experience managing both qualitative and quantitative research projects is a plus.
- Strategy, product development, and business development exposure is a plus.
- Experience in SPSS or comparable statistical analysis software is a plus.
- Experience with Tableau or comparable analysis software is a plus.
- Knowledge of innovative market research principles and processes, including but not limited to scoping, defining objectives, research design, sampling, data collection, data analysis, and data visualization.
- Proven ability to understand, interpret, and communicate market research results for a variety of audiences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Clearly demonstrates high levels of integrity, self-motivation, and intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to develop and program online surveys using Qualtrics or other comparable online survey platforms.
- Ability to analyze data using statistical software packages such as SPSS or SAS.
- Ability to perform data analysis and visualization with Tableau.
- Ability to effectively summarize results in reports, spreadsheets, and charts for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Clearly demonstrates a strong aptitude for establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships, including the ability to work collaboratively across the organization to build a strong, trusted market research program.
- Ability to lead, recommend, and question the information collected that contributes to critical business decisions.
- Strong, demonstrated belief in the importance of understanding the marketplace and applying those understandings to market research, strategy formulation and solution development.
- Ability to identify and capitalize on opportunities from market research.
- Ability to think innovatively and strategically and help translate market research findings into strategic decisions.
- Must be comfortable with taking initiative, seek secondary research that's valuable and work creatively to answer market research questions and determine directions.
- Possess excellent project management and organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time, set priorities, and meet deadlines, and communicate early if deadlines are an issue.
- Ability to work with limited direct guidance at times and comfortable with ambiguity and change.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job related instructions and to perform other job related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.