JOB SUMMARY: The Communications Manager is a member of the Society of Actuaries' (SOA) Marketing & Communications team managing stakeholder communications including to members, candidates, employers, partners, media and the public. The Communications Manager will work to increase visibility for the profession and the SOA, positioning the organization as a thought leader and ensuring messaging is consistent with SOA's mission, strategy, value statements and voice. This role will be the lead in supporting organization-wide initiatives, various business units (Education, Professional Development/Engagement, Research, Global, etc.) and governance leadership and activities. This position plays an integral role in executing high-profile SOA announcements, internal communications initiatives, integrated marketing/communications programs as well as providing guidance for external strategic initiatives/campaigns. He/she/they are an exceptional project manager with attention to detail, highly organized, and a strong communicator. He/she/they are a self-starter who is willing and able to roll up his/her/their sleeves and accomplish tasks in a fast-paced environment. This position manages daily operations for the communications/content team consisting of a Sr. Content Specialist or Content Specialist. In addition to staff, this position manages communications, public and media relations vendors as well as freelance editors and writers as needed.
- Manage organizational initiative communications and high-profile announcements such as strategic plans, diversity, equity and inclusion and corporate social responsibility.
- Implement communications plans across channels and manage content generation and/or editing for assigned business units and departments to increase awareness, engagement and/or penetration of SOA programs and offerings; support implementation of meetings and events, including paid speakers, speeches, presentations, videos, marketing acquisition copy, etc.
- Responsible for assigned stakeholder segment communications: members, candidates, employers, media/public; coordinate with communications agency or lead internal efforts to execute press releases and media outreach to reach target external audiences
- Develop content for regular member/candidate digital communications which requires coordination with subject-matter experts across the SOA, curating and publishing editorial content and working with the SOA Publication and Marketing departments.
- Working closely with Director of Communications, Sr. Director of Marketing & Communications and SOA leadership, participate in and support crisis/issue management planning and response development and execution
- Provide support for governance-related activities which may include president, board and section elections; speech writing, message development and training, presentations for presidents and board members; development of annual report and post-board meeting highlights for board and report to stakeholders for website publication.
- Utilize new and existing multi-media channels - web, social media, app, email, video etc. effectively integrating and collaborating with Digital Marketing Specialist, Webworks, App team, Creative Services, etc.
- Lead and coordinate efforts with Creative Services to produce creative for projects such as video production, presentations, digital images, etc.
- Manage at least one direct report (Sr. Content Specialist, Copywriter or Content Specialist) responsible for all managerial duties including hiring, on-boarding, coaching & development, performance appraisals, etc.
- Develop and implement metrics to assess the effectiveness and impact of communications.
- Performs other related work as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered)
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related marketing discipline.
- Minimum ten (10) years' experience in communications, public relations, media relations or journalism and in developing and executing integrated communications programs.
- Minimum five (5) years' experience of people management experience, preferably in a communications/public relations environment.
- Strong organizational and project management experience that demonstrates a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Experience with a public relations agency is strongly desired.
- Strong understanding of social media networks and their use within multi-audience communications programs.
- Strong understanding of web content development and management within multi-audience communications programs.
- Strong skills in oral and written communication with a focus on speech-writing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, proofreading, problem-solving, decision-making, client service and cross-department collaboration skills.
- Manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to digest complex information quickly and to develop clear communications on that information to various audiences.
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly develop an understanding of non-profit or association management orientation.
- Must have excellent communications and interpersonal skills to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, volunteers and the media.
- Self-motivated go-getter with a positive attitude; work independently with a high degree of initiative.
- Exceptional time and project management and organizational skills including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines.
- Maintain confidentiality; handle complex and confidential information with discretion.
- Strong business acumen and emotional intelligence.
- Awareness of media relations trends in the digital communications arena (media blogs, online publication formats, and social media).
- Ability to learn quickly, demonstrate critical thinking and make situation-appropriate decisions using sound judgment.
- Knowledge of how to and ability to work well with volunteers and demonstrate a high level of diplomacy.
- Must be creative and a dynamic self-starter, comfortable with taking initiative, work well as part of a collaborative integrated marketing communications team and be able to work against multiple deadlines with minimum supervision.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.