SFM is seeking a dynamic and experienced Corporate Counsel to join our team. This is a new position added due to the company's growth. In this role, you will play a vital role in ensuring that our company operates in compliance with legal requirements and best practices. You will be responsible for advising and assisting business managers by bringing a legal lens to a wide range of transactional projects handling moderately complex matters. Working alongside of the Chief Legal Officer, the Corporate Counsel will have the opportunity to lead on a wide variety of matters, including commercial contract drafting and negotiation, data privacy issues, insurance legislative and regulatory matters. We are searching for someone who will embody the SFM operating principles and is able to work effectively with a variety of people.
We offer a flexible work environment which includes hybrid work. This position is in Minnesota and hybrid work is available.
Our benefits include:
- Affordable Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, HSA, FSA
- Flexible hybrid work environment
- Traditional and Roth 401(k) plans with company match
- Company contributions to help pay off student loans
- Monthly home internet allowance
- Free life insurance, STD & LTD
- Opportunities for annual gainshare bonus
- Pet insurance
- Generous PTO
- 9 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Annual company-wide volunteer day
- Discounts on gym memberships, fitness apps and weight loss programs
- Adoption financial assistance
What You Will Be Doing:
- Provides proactive, pragmatic, service-focused, business-oriented legal advice necessary to the Company's organization and day-to-day operations on a wide variety of issues.
- Collaborates with the Chief Legal Officer in the development of policies and training for Company leaders in general corporate legal matters, including contract management and data privacy.
- Advises on developing areas of the insurance legal and regulatory environment, including workers' compensation law, employment law, contract and data privacy concerns, and drafts practices and policies consistent with legal requirements and protection of Company interests.
- Collaborates with other company personnel to develop and coordinate efforts to educate policyholders, agents, legislators, regulators and the general business community about the workers' compensation systems and related issues in the Company's core jurisdictions through a variety of mediums.
- Participates in the management of litigation and oversight of outside counsel.
- Works effectively with key stakeholders within the organization and outside the company to deliver excellent customer service and provide feedback to others when business improvement opportunities are identified and does so in a professional manner.
- Provides leadership, education and mentoring to business partners regarding issues impacting the workers' compensation legal and regulatory environment.
What We'll Love About You
- Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school; licensed to practice law in Minnesota.
- Experience working in multiple disciplines within the insurance field and/or other similarly regulated industries, preferred.
- Six or more years of demonstrated work experience providing legal advice on complex commercial contracts/transactions, whether at a law firm, as corporate counsel, or in an equivalent role.
- Familiarity with data security and privacy laws and regulations, desirable.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal skills and strategic focus, with ability to excel in collaborative, team-based environment.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and work with minimal direction.
- Self-motivated, curious and a desire for continuous learning and improvement.
- Ability to effectively lead and delegate to ensure successful completion of projects and/or assignments.
- Strong computer skills and competency with Microsoft tools (including Office products and Teams).
- Strong negotiation skills and an interest in finding creative solutions to complex problems.
- Travel as needed.
- Valid driver's license.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office setting, either on business premises or remote location, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us. Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers' compensation partner of choice for agents, employers, and their workers. In that time, we've expanded to well over 25,000 customers in the Midwest and is considered the leader of Workers' Compensation Insurance Companies in the state of Minnesota. SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We foster a supportive and inclusive work environment where your ideas and contributions are valued. SFM is headquartered in Minneapolis, MN and is committed to creating the best work environment believing that our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. We offer a competitive salary, and our benefit package is designed to assist you navigate your work-life journey.
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers. SFM is a participant of E-Verify