Business Internship Summer 2024
Exploring different career paths? Join our vibrant team as a rotational intern and delve into the world of Workers' Compensation insurance. As an engaged team member, you'll collaborate across various departments, acquiring practical skills in claim management, policy underwriting, data analysis, and marketing communications. This summer internship provides invaluable insights into SFM's operations and industry best practices, serving as a catalyst for your career growth.
Don't pass up this opportunity to jump-start your professional journey! *Must be entering your junior or senior year of college for the academic year of 2024/2025*
Schedule: Approximate work availability from June through August 2024 (10-12 weeks) required. SFM will work to accommodate university schedules. Weekly schedule will be Monday - Thursday and working at least 30 hours per week.
- Professional development: Engage in workshops, seminars, and networking events designed to enhance your skills in communication, problem-solving, and leadership.
- Mentorship: Receive personalized guidance from seasoned professionals and industry leaders who will support your growth, answer your questions, and help you navigate the intricacies of the insurance landscape.
- Data management/insights: Assist in maintaining and analyzing claim records, policy documentation, and other critical data.
- Perform meaningful work: Contribute to impactful projects where your ideas and efforts are valued .
- Knowledge gained: Will learn about workers' compensation and insurance industry as a whole.
- Job shadow: Will work within claims, underwriting, analytics and communications departments alongside professionals.
- Job offer: Potential for full time job offer and future career advancement, although not guaranteed.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborates with peers on a capstone research project and presents recommendations to an Executive Panel.
- Assists in conducting research, analyzing data and providing recommendations when applicable.
- Helps with organizing and maintaining files, documents and other records and learns the importance of data integrity and documentation of information.
- Collaborates with team members to brainstorm and develop innovative ideas.
- Supports the team in daily workflows and develops an understanding of the lifecycle of a Workers' Compensation claim and insurance policy.
- Learns the roles, functions and responsibilities of a successful staff member in the insurance industry.
- May attend meetings related to the industry and other departmental meetings within and outside SFM to enhance knowledge and skills across the insurance industry.
- Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing related tasks and projects as needed.
- Models ethical behavior and executes job responsibilities in accordance with SFM's core values and Code of Business Ethics and maintains appropriate interactions with persons both in the organization and outside.
- Learns and understands SFM's corporate culture.
What We'll Love About You:
- Must be entering junior or senior year of the academic year of 2024/2025.
- Ability to work at least 30 hours per week, Monday through Thursday.
- Current enrollment in an associate or bachelor's degree program.
- Approximate work availability from June through August 2024 (10-12 weeks) required. SFM will work to accommodate university schedules.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and enthusiasm to learn the insurance industry.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Strong customer service; team skills and customer-friendly focus.
- Willingness to learn and have a desire to take on new challenges.
- Strong prioritization, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Critical thinking and decision making.
- Self-motivated, works well independently, ability to focus on a project and project work and isn't afraid to ask for help.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to follow directions and adhere to team procedures and company best practices.
- Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work authorization (e.g. H-1B visa) for this opportunity.
Expected hourly rate is $21.00 per hour.
Must be able to work at the Corporate Headquarters office in Bloomington, MN.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Regular attendance is required. Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within the Corporate Headquarters, or remote location, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, and maintain concentration and focus. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers