Business Analyst-Finance & Accounting
JOB SUMMARY: The Business Analyst is a key member of the Finance Department who provides support to high level stakeholders across the organization through the analysis, and interpretation of business information, including but not limited to:
- Collect and analyze key performance indicators (KPIs) for the organization. Produce reports by country, categories, and other parameters to understand fluctuations to drive business decisions.
- Consistently evaluating, comparing, and analyzing financial revenue, expenses, margins, and trends across the organization. Identify rising costs and suggest ways to create cost efficiencies for the organization. Identify opportunities and providing solutions based on data.
- Analyzing variances monthly and providing recommendations and corrective measures that can be implemented.
- Preparing ad hoc financial analysis and analytical support as required.
- Own the internal and external reporting of KPI to help drive well informed decision-making, redesign reports as needed to produce better reporting over time
- Create and maintain annual leading indicator dashboards and other meaningful metrics for evaluating strategic initiatives and lines of business based on data analysis
- Conduct analysis on product, product line and the overall profitability of the organization
- Work with others to design and use a new data mart to study KPIs, perform analysis and reports to support various SOA departments including but not limited to professional development, engagement, education, product development and innovation, international, and marketing. Including but not limited to:
- Performing analyses of professional development events to identify which topics and locations have higher attendance over time, include demographics of different audiences to understand which areas are growing and which are contracting, and provide information supporting possible reasons for the changes.
- Assist product development and innovation with analysis on new and existing products to support the pricing strategy and building financial models to manage and track new business products
- Create and analyze financial reports in Great Plains to assist with budgeting, financial statements, and various financial reports.
- Perform and/or assist in the review, development, and monitoring of allocation methodologies and the monthly allocations of supporting services to each department. Using analysis collected from the organization's major activities, help develop projections and compare against the annual budget and year-end forecasts and trend analysis. Analyze resource and capital allocations.
- Review gross revenue by country and apply an expense allocation methodology. Analyze data to prepare necessary foreign tax filings
- Perform and/or assist in the review, development, and monitoring of allocation methodologies and the monthly allocations of supporting services to each department. Using analysis collected from the organization's major activities, help develop projections and compare against the annual budget and year-end forecasts and trend analysis.
- Clearly communicate results from analysis through data visualization and presentations as needed.
- Ability to work on multiple, quick response projects with flexibility
- Other duties as assigned
- Continuously looking for ways to get new information and use new and existing information quickly and efficiently to drive business decisions.
- Ensure that stakeholders are provided with highly accurate information, analysis and KPIs for their business units.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to develop insights based on data.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- Master's in Business Analytics is a plus
- Minimum of seven years of experience in business analytics
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) certification is a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel important
- Ability to work on multiple quick response projects with flexibility
- High energy and strong curiosity, with the ability to analyze data and assess patterns
- Experience with Tableau is a plus
- Knowledge of Personify and Microsoft Great Plains accounting software is a plus
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting and GAAP
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships, both internally and externally
EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM THE JOB (may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position. Examples are listed below.
- Standard office equipment
- Personal computer and printer, with internet access
- Microsoft Great Plains accounting software
- Microsoft Great Plains FRX report writer software
- Crystal Reports, Personify and Excel, Tableau
PHYSICAL ABILITIES that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Examples listed below.
- Requires great attention to detail and accuracy
- Requires an extremely demanding level of concentration
- Prolonged periods of computer use
We are currently working remotely, but will be moving to a hybrid work model in December. Our future plans for growth include the opening of a Chicago office.
The SOA will provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, order of protection status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other category protected by applicable law. Such action shall include but is not limited to: initial consideration for employment; job placement and assignment of responsibilities; performance evaluation; promotion and advancement; compensation and fringe benefits; training and professional development opportunities; formulation and application of human resource policies and rules; facility and service accessibility; and discipline and termination.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.